A curated list by Eric Elliott and friends. Suggest links in the comments below.
Some of these links are affiliate links, meaning that if you make a purchase, I might earn a little money. This has absolutely no bearing on whether or not links make the list. None, whatsoever. However, it does allow me more resources to fight poverty with code. Every little bit counts.
Required Reading (Online resources)
Dev tools & collaboration
- nvm First install this...
- Node Then install Node (with nvm). You'll need this even if you're a front-end dev.
- Sublime Text 3
- Node Inspector Debug Node code with the Chrome debug tools
- JSDoc - Pair with Tern for static analysis
- Nitrous.IO (Supports live collaboration / pair programming)
- Slack Chat for teams, with GitHub and Google hangouts integration
- For hangouts, just type /hangout in any channel
- ES6 Fiddle
Lint / Quality checkers
- io.js - The Node fork
- es5-shim Stable, production ready.
- es6-shim Somewhat stable, but a few things I thought were solid got shifted to ES7.
- es7-shim Experimantal. Use with caution.
- native-promise-only An ECMAScript standard promise polyfill by Kyle Simpson
- isomorphic-fetch A WHATWG fetch standard polyfill
- jQuery Yes, I still use jQuery and so do 61% of the top 100,000 websites - for good reason.
- Blaze DOM-diffing isomorphic reactive templates from Meteor
- Globalize i18n / translate your app for many languages and locations (locales)
- Express The most popular framework for Node
- Stampit Stampit - create objects from reusable, composable behaviors. Prototypal inheritance with stamps.
- Credential If you write Node apps with password logins, you need Credential
- cuid GUIDs are broken - use cuid, instead
- velocity & Velocity Motion Designer (VMD) UI animation library
- json-schema - Great for model validations
QA / Deployment / Monitoring / CI
- PM2 Process monitoring / self repair
- New Relic Deep insights into the performance and health of your production apps
- Sauce Labs Cross platform web application testing with great collaboration and integration support
- Travis CI CI, of course
- Docker Run your CI process using the same OS configs as your production systems.
- Shippable Docker-based hosted build / CI
Pasting / sharing code
Twitter (alphabetical order)
- Addy Osmani - App architecture expert, Chrome dev tools champion
- Axel Rauschmayer - ES Next evangelist, author
- David Nolen - Great functional programming content
- EchoJS - News and links
- Jafar Husain - Great talks on RxJS, ES next, etc...
- James Halliday aka Substack - author of ~one million~ Node modules you probably use.
- James Long - CSP, functional programming advocate, Mozilla developer
- Jordan Harband - Keeping us ahead of the JS curve
- Kyle Simpson - Author, YDKJS - O'Reilly, JS Instructor, open web evangelist
- Nicholas C. Zakas - Author, speaker
- Paul Irish - Developer evangelist, Chrome dev tools champion
- YDKJS - You Don't Know JS, O'Reilly book series by Kyle Simpson