7/25/2016 - 8:20 PM


<p>As a freelance photographer, you may want to see how much time you wish to invest in your hobby before registering it as a business. If you operate under your own name, as a self-employed freelancer, you are not required to get a business name. However, if you choose to take on a business name, you will need to register your home-based business. Have a look at our section on <a href="">Registering your business</a> to see what steps to take, especially in your province or territory. <br />
 <br />
Keep in mind that most businesses in Canada need to register with Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to get a Business Number. Registration is mandatory if your business requires a GST/HST, Payroll, Corporate income tax or Import/Export account, but you may find your photography sideline is not yet at this stage. To determine whether you need a <a href="">GST/HST account</a>, a good place to start is by taking the CRA&#8217;s handy <a href="">questionnaire</a>. This becomes a factor as your photography revenues increase.<br />
 <br />
If you do decide that you are interested in starting a sole proprietorship, our section on  <a href="">Starting a business</a> can be very useful. And don&#8217;t forget that the Business Information Officers at the <a href="">Canada Business service centre</a> in your province or territory can provide you with many useful resources.</p>

<p>Good luck with your photography.</p>